Project Otome 1.0 ~ The Third Realm – The Full Story So Far

Project Otome 1.0 ~ The Third Realm – The Full Story So Far


Originally I planned to only give brief updates but as per a request this post contains the entire story so far in Project Otome 1.0 ~ The Third Realm. I have included every poll from the beginning in order to show the tracking of the game and story.


»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Gender Selection





Winning Selection: Female

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Race Selection






Winning Selection: Vampire

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Main Character Selection



Winning Selection: Watanabe Kumiko

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part One



“Yes!” I was accepted into the Fairy Host Program. Alright! Two weeks in the Fairy Realm! I can’t contain my joy as I dance through the corridors of the castle. Now I can get away from these damned Vampires for a while. I grit my teeth and almost snarl as I pass several of my peers. Peers? I don’t even think I could call them that. I can hear them whispering behind my back as I walk past. They haven’t stopped comparing me to the ‘feral Witches’ yet.
I ignore everyone as I find the closest exit.
Once I’m out on the path in the school gardens my pace slows, my fangs retract and I sigh with my hands on my head. Vampires are such a nuisance. All uppity and prideful. I wish I had been born as a Witch or maybe even a Fairy. Or maybe a human…
I gasp as I collide with someone. I really need to stop walking with my eyes closed. I fall backwards and land hard on the stone path. I scowl and look up to find an equally annoyed trio of boys standing above me. All of them have black hair and deep scarlet eyes. One of the easiest indicators of nobility… and of Vampires who still drink actual blood.
“Watch where you’re going, Watanabe,” the middle one mutters as he fixes his blazer. His eyes hold such contempt for me and I don’t even know his name. It sucks not to know many names but be known by all.
I stand up and dust myself off. “I guess three pairs of eyes weren’t capable of seeing me on the path. Maybe your eyesight is not as good as the average vampire’s.”
The two beside him exchange glances as he hisses, “How dare you?!”
I move around them and grit my teeth. Brats. Before I’m a metre away from them a firm hand yanks me back by my wrist. As my body turns I see a fist flying in the direction of my face. I close my eyes to prepare myself and hear a connection but I don’t feel anything. Opening my eyes I see another hand in front of my face, blocking the punch. I yank my wrist from his grasp and stumble backwards, tripping over my feet.
The boys immediately retreat several steps. “S-Suzuki-sama.”



“You shouldn’t strike women,” Haruki says. His face is blank but his eyes appear dark.
“I’m sorry. Forgive me.” They leave in a hurry and I feel myself heat up angrily. To have been saved by a Suzuki. Dammnit.
Haruki turns towards me and it’s hard not to jump. He pockets his hands and turns to face me properly as I stare at him from the ground. “You seem to be a magnet for trouble, Watanabe-san.”
Haruka suddenly appears in my vision, leaning down and peering at me. “Are you hurt, Miko-chan?”



I look away and scowl as I get to my feet. “Don’t call me that,” I growl. Haruka helps me up and I pull away from her. “What do you two want?”
Haruka pouts dramatically. “Don’t be mean, Miko-chan. We’re not like everyone else remember?” She ruffles her short black hair in the wind and sighs. “Status definitely goes to a Vampire’s head.”
I feel my arm being lifted up and I flinch as Haruki holds my hand up to his eyes to examine a cut from when I had fallen. “You must not be getting enough food if this has happened.” My hand is hot all over and it’s spreading throughout me. He runs his tongue over the wound, coating it in his healing saliva and I lose it. My face explodes in heat and I almost squeal as I yank my hand back.
“W-what are you doing?!” My hand tingles and it feels like I’ve gone into a fever. Haruki seems perplexed so I grip my wrist and add…

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Two
“T-thank you...” I look away from him and the heat in my cheeks shows no signs of dying down.
“Ne, Miko-chan,” Haruka says. She waves her hands to get my attention and I send her a filthy look. “I heard that you got accepted into the Fairy Host Program.”
I blink and then frown. “How did you hear about that?”
“We got accepted too,” Haruki says simply.
“Yay!” Haruka says as she claps her hands. “We’ll all be together for two weeks at the Fairy Realm!”
I turn away from them and cover my face as I groan. I begin to trudge away from them and Haruka calls me mean again as they follow behind me. Suzuki Haruka and Suzuki Haruki are the only Vampires to have treated me as friends since I started walking. They’ve almost been like older siblings and yet I can’t bring myself to treat them the same way because deep inside I feel that they just pity me. I stop and turn around. The pair stop in their tracks as I bark, “Stop following me!”
Haruka smiles at me as I were a little puppy. “So adorable.” The word stuns me and I feel like roaring at her. “So do you know who the male representative for you year is?”
I repress my annoyance and cover my eyes as I think. “Ah, it’s your cousin,” I answer. I sigh and cross my arms. “How come four Vampires of royal blood have been invited to go?” Vampires of high status avoid the Fairy Realm and usually send lower class Vampires to do their dirty work. Something must be at play. I won’t ask though; that wouldn’t be wise. “Wouldn’t that be an issue?” I ask, interrupting the weird telepathic conversation between the twins. They turn to me, their faces waiting for me to explain. “To have Naoki on the Fairy Host Program. His obsession with the smell of Witch blood would be a problem.”
“Ah, yeah,” Haruka says nonchalantly, causing my jaw to drop. She giggles as she waves away my expression. “It’ll be okay. He’s fascinated and enthralled by it but I think he will be fine. I would think his application would be rejected if they didn’t think he could handle it of course. It’s Naokichi anyway, he couldn’t hurt a fly.”
He could strike ten down at once if he wanted to. I nod and turn away again. “Whatever then.” Not only am I going to be accompanied by the Suzuki’s but now the Shinsei’s are going to be there. The other one, the female representative for the twelfth year, is Kitami Chou. I understand why she would want to go and perhaps why Naoki would but I don’t get why Akira and the Suzuki twins would.
As I walk, the wind grows troubled and I can smell roses in the air. I stop and look around as I think. What would draw four royal Vampires to the Fairy Realm? Maybe it has something do with who was hosting the program this year. It couldn’t just be a coincidence that four royal Vampires were going to participate in a program that will allow them to be in the personal space of Chino Hana. The famous Fairy Hana. Ryuusei Kasai is her stage name. She is the biggest pop idol in all Three Realms and also the biggest anomaly. No one understands why she’s so different from the others. I do like her music. She is a great singer. Now that I think about it I’m really excited to meet her.
Hunger rumbles through me almost like a purr. I think about what Haruki had said about my diet. I’m from a Soldier Vampire family but I still refuse to drink or eat anything that contains real blood. My diet sits solely on synthetic blood apples.
I cross my arms and think about what would happen in the Fairy Realm if I were to be malnourished. Would I lust strongly for the rumoured sweet smells of their blood? Apparently Chino Hana smells like what you want most. I should be in top shape if something goes down as well. I decide…

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Three
“I’ll mix the two just in case. That way I shouldn’t be tempted and I won’t be disgusted with myself.” I sighed and with that decided I continue heading home.
A Week Later
“Miko-chan? Mikooo-chan?!” Haruka continues to call my name and drag it out as I sit facing away from her in the carriage, sour faced. I didn’t know that I would sit enclosed with the others on the way to the Fairy Realm. Haruka waved in my face and I finally turned to her, baring my fangs. “Eh? Are you hungry?” Haruki suppresses a chuckle and, red faced, I turn back to look out of the window.

INSERT SHINSEI AKIRA

“Haruka, stop pestering her,” I hear Akira say. I think this is the worst part. Shinsei Akira. “Just sit down and be quiet until we get there. “What are you-? Ack!”
I hear a scuffle and turn around to find Akira with his arms crossed and scowling as Haruka kneels beside him in the seat, holding one arm around his neck and rubbing his head violently with the other. Naoki laughs, Haruki smiles and Chou watches with concern.



“Did you have something to say, Akira-chan?” Haruka asks through her teeth as Akira barks in protest.



“You might upset the balance of the carriage,” Chou says. She stands up as the carriage rocks from the pairs tousling that suddenly lands them on the other side as Akira tried to escape her.
“She’s right,” Haruki says as he casually pulls Haruka off of their cousin. “Just sit still until the journey is over.” He pulls her by her tie and moves over to let her sit down next to him. This means a change in the seating arrangements. From left to right on the opposite side was a grinning Naoki, a tie-fixing Akira and a cheerful Chou. And now, on my side, was Haruka, then Haruki… then me. I shake my head and move away from his coat that’s touching me.
Get yourself together, Kumiko!
Surprisingly it’s a quiet and smooth for the rest of the trip. I sat still, waiting for Haruka or Naoki to disturb the peace but it didn’t happen. They just both quietly kept gazing out the window as the scenery began to change from the placid colours of the Vampire Realm to the flamboyant pallet of the Fairy Realm.
The flora is amazing. There are so many plants and trees that are brighter than a royal Vampire’s fed eyes. Brighter than flame and tasty looking. I might not live if I eat from Fairy flora though. I hear that it’s specially grown and made for the makeup of the Fairies and that probably means its everything Vampire’s hate. I’ll wait and see.
I tottered on behind the Fairy guide that had greeted us and marvelled more than anyone else as we walked into a large garden.
“It’s amazing,” Haruka says from behind me. “My Oka-san said that there are plants in the Fairy Realm that taste like candy.”
I roll my eyes but nod. I hope it’s edible. Haruka drops back and crouches by a plant as she calls out to me. I turn around and walk backwards as I say, “Hurry up. We can look at the flowers together after the Introduction.” We both blink at the word ‘together’ and Haruka’s face lights up.
She jumps up and cheers and I feel my inner self cursing. “Really?” I cover my eyes and nod and she squeals. “Yay! Hey, Miko-chan, watch yourself!”
I uncover my face and realise I hadn’t stopped walking backwards. I try to stop and turn around but my foot hook on my suitcase and I trip over. “Ouch,” I mutter as Haruka hurries over. I hearing laughing above me and look up. My heartbeat drops the rope for a moment before picking it up again and skipping in a daze.
Above me is a young boy with really short brown hair, energetic brown eyes and a sharp smile. He gives off a wolfish vision as he grins at me and holds his hand out. “Are you okay?”



“I…” I almost reach for his hand when another one shoots into view. I look up and Haruki and leaning over me.
“Here.” His hand is closer to me but the other boy’s was there first. Haruki looks to boy standing in front of me and says, “Watanabe-san does not like strangers.”

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Four
“Whatever.” I pick myself up.
I dust myself up and the boy speaks first as he holds his hand out again. “I’m Takahashi Ryuu, from the Witch Realm.”
A witch? He does look somewhat wild. I shake his hand as I introduce myself, “My name is Watanabe Kumiko. I’m from the Vampire Realm. I assume you’re here for the Fairy Host Program.”
He nods. He has such a nice smile. I can’t help but smile back. Maybe I should have been a Witch. I feel at ease around him. “I’m representing the eleventh year.”
“I’m representing the tenth,” I reply before he can ask. I glance to my side where Haruki is still standing. In order to avoid a continuation of awkwardness I introduce him as well. “This is Suzuki Haruki. He’s representing the eleventh year.”
Ryuu holds his hand out with a pleasant smile. “Nice to meet you!”
For a moment I was worried that Haruki would reject him. That’s not the type of person Haruki is though. I haven’t seen this curious but guarded glint in his eyes before. He take Ryuu’s hand and shakes it. “Un.”
“Ryuu-kun!” A girl rushes up and slams the palm of her hand into Ryuu’s back. “Are you already causing trouble?!” She ruffles his hair and he tries to push her away.



“I’m not!” He protests as he rubs the part of his back she slammed. “Stop just assuming I’m always causing trouble,” he mutters. He scowls at her and she pokes her tongue out at him. He turns back to us and winces as he says, “This is Sakibara Rozu. She’s representing the girls in my year.”
She grins at us and salutes. “Sakibara Rozu! Nice to meet you!” Witches are indeed playful it seems. She punches Ryuu in the arm and he bares his teeth at her. She laughs. “If Ryuu-kun is bothering you just tell me and I’ll put a stop to it.” She winks and Haruki and I exchange confused expressions.
“Ah… ok,” is all I can think to reply. I feel someone on the other side of me and from the
“Ryuu-kun! Rozu-chan! You two better not be kicking up a fuss!” calls another from the meeting point in the garden.



“I wonder if Mikan Senpai knows that it’s you that actually causes the trouble,” Ryuu says as he crosses his arms.
“She thinks I’m an angel,” Rozu replies as she pokes her tongue out again. She turns to us. “I’m sorry, I haven’t asked you your names yet.” She donks her head with the palm of her hand.
I gesture first to my left and then to my right. “This is Suzuki Haruki and that is Suzuki Haruka. My name is Watanabe Kumiko. We’re representing Vampire students.”
“Nice to meet you!” Rozu says with a bright smile. The girl that had called them before calls them again. “Excuse us!” Rozu says as she yanks on Ryuu’s arm and drags him off.
As soon as they’re out of earshot, Haruka says, “That male witch smells nicer than the female one.”
“It was the opposite for me,” Haruki murmurs.
I cross my arms and roll my eyes. They’re obviously referring to the smell of their blood. “From their scents I’m assuming that Ryuu is more powerful than the other. This means that Haruki is a sadist and Haruka is a masochist.” I walk off, leaving the pair in argument and defence against my comments. I think about my own preferences.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Five
“I wouldn’t mind Witch blood.”
I didn’t get to see Chino Hana today. Apparently she had pressing matters with the Yukiko quadruplets. The pink-haired, yellow-eyed beauties of the Fairy Realm. Fairies have such bright colours and the ones with bright personalities are like stars. Well the Yukikos and Chino are pop stars after all.
I didn’t expect Chinos house to be as big and yet as small as it is. The main house was small and simple but behind it was a large guest house that was almost like a small hotel. Her servants sleep there. She actually has maids and butlers and gardeners! Everyone gets their own room but we’re all monitored by the maids and butlers, particularly Shinsei Naoki because of his unusual amplified taste for Witch blood. He hasn’t tasted it but he likes to smell it and I think it would be better if he wasn’t tempted.
I like all the other members from the Witch Realm. All of them are pro-union between the realms and are quite laid back. Their talents and abilities are also so interesting.
I’m sitting up on top of the roof of the guest house. I climbed out the window and scaled the side of the building. Haruka was trying to communicate through the wall with Morse code and it was driving me insane.
I breathe in the night and then exhale in the form of mist. It’s quite chilly and the air feels odd. It feels clean but there’s something on the wind that confuses me. Like fragments of blood setting off alarms within me.
“It smells like a washed puppy,” I murmur to myself.
“That’s probably me.” I flinch and leap up to my feet. I take a fighting stance but find a startled Ryuu. He puts his hands up and adds quickly, “I couldn’t sleep so I came up here. I wasn’t trying to creep up on you or anything.”
I relax and feel my fangs retract as I drop down and cross my legs with an irritated sigh. “I couldn’t sleep either so I came to look at the stars.”
He sits across me with a large grin and I notice he’s in black and white polka dot pyjamas. I almost laugh at him. “What class of Vampire are you?” he suddenly asks.
“I’m a level 3 Vampire, a Soldier Class,” I answer. “Witches don’t have class do they?”
He shakes his head and I realise the spotted blood smell I had caught wind of as he sucks on his finger. He grimaces and looks at me apologetically. “I’m sorry if this is making you uncomfortable; Suzuki-san told me you’re a vegetarian.” I can’t help but watch as his tongue runs over the small slice. “I accidentally cut it on my way up here.”
“I’ve actually begun to merge real blood into my diet,” I murmur, dazed. I can feel my heartbeat growing louder as my body grows hot. I want to lean forward and lick along his skin before sinking my fangs into him. I wrap my arms around my body and bite my lower lip. I can’t do that.
“Well then that’s handy,” Ryuu says. I break out of my daze and frown. “If you don’t mind then could you heal it? I hear the Vampires’ saliva holds healing properties when fangs aren’t drawn. I could just band aid this but it would still bother your friends and I hear that the younger Ouji-sama has an odd fascination with Witch blood.” He ruffles his hair with his good hand. “I’m not quite good at healing yet. I’m an animal Witch meaning I turn into animals.”
I stare at him, my heartbeat ticking like a clock as I try to decide. Every taste bud on my tongue wants to run over his finger.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Six
“I’ll do it.” My face grows hot and I could just die from embarrassment right now.
“Really? Thanks!” The Witch blushes and holds his finger out to me. The red in the face and the red on his finger suddenly causes my head to throb. He smells so sweet. Sweeter now he’s been opened…
I lunge forward and somehow I’m straddling him as his back hits the ground. I sit up on him and pull his hand up to my mouth and run my tongue over his wound. I’ve never drank directly from the source before. It’s hardly enough to swallow. My tongue runs over the cut, trading saliva for blood. It’s just a few drops and yet as the slice begins to heal I feel his energy around my body as I let the taste sink in. I can’t explain it. It’s like I’m on hard ground and a cloud at the same time… as if I’m receiving the worst punishment and the best reward at the same time.
“Ahno… Watanabe-san.” That’s my name isn’t it?
I tighten my grip on his wrist and look down at him. He isn’t afraid but his face is still red. Or maybe he is afraid? I can smell and almost feel the blood pulsing through him. Such sweet blood.
I manoeuvre my body and pull him up into a sitting position by his wrist. Moving a little to his side I put my nose near his neck and inhale. “You really smell… delicious.”



Our eyes connect and the deep brown suddenly brings part of me back. What am I doing? I can’t get carried away! As I’m fighting internally I become aware of Ryuu’s face moving closer to mine. My heart is pounding for a different reason now. Have I accidentally released Vampiric pheromones when I healed the cut? No… my breathing will only release them if my fangs are present and surprisingly they are not.
“What is the meaning of this?!” We automatically pull away from each other and look to find an angry Vampire prince. Akira strikes down and yanks me up by my forearm. I gasp and push him away. “You’re supposed to be a Watanabe Soldier and yet you’re still just an irrational Vampire!” he yells at me.
“I am not!” I seethe as I let my fangs show and I hiss. He extends his lengthy pearly whites and his red eyes glimmer in the night. “I was just helping him!”
“She was! She was!” Ryuu jumps up and waves his hands as he looks in between us. “I’m sorry! I should’ve known better than to ask. I was just… I just…” It looks like he has a tomato for a head… He looks down at the ground and I relax myself.
My fangs retract and I sigh as I cross my arms and glare at Akira. “He cut his finger and didn’t want it to bother Naoki.”
Akira’s fangs disappears but his deathly stare doesn’t. “That’s Naoki-sama to you.”
“Oh don’t give me that royal crap!” I snap. It seems like we’ve entered a blinking contest.



»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Seven
I wait stubbornly for him to blink first.
Akira holds his ground for a long time and I think Ryuu becomes a little awkward. Akira finally blinks and oddly enough, his deathly eyes seem to change emotion as if sparking.
"Whatever then." He looks over at Ryuu and his annoyance returns.  Did I gain some points with him just now? "If she eats you then it's your problem. I suggest you return to bed now."
"I will," I say quickly. I feel like I'm on a roll but at the same time I feel stupid because my attempt to snap at him made me submit. By the smirk on his face he's thinking the same thing.
I step to the edge of the building in one sweep I leap and fall. It's only too easy for me to land without harming myself from four floors up but the thump was a little louder than expected. I tighten my ponytail and purse my mouth shut as I try to deal with the tiny fragments of Ryuu's blood in my mouth. I touch my lips involuntarily as I think about the sensation. Having touched the skin where the tasty little cells came out was quite invigorating.
"It's like licking the edge of the fountain of youth… like the fingertips of gods…"
"So it's true that you were predominantly vegetarian."



A shiver runs through me like a moving caterpillar on fast forward. I look up and approaching me through the glow-butterfly lit garden was familiar Fairy with short purple hair and scarlet eyes. Chino Hana is much more amazing in person. I think I would drool if I was able to see her magnificent wings. I trust that they are just as breathtaking as they are in pictures and videos. Her unusual size and coloured wings are admirable and her voice is just as sweet as I thought. I want to hear her sing in person.
"Did I stun you accidentally?" she asked as she laughed and stopped in front of me. She waved her hand and my eyes locked on her signature jewellery. Star earrings, star hair clip and a star necklace.
My face grows hot and I grow embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I- It's just I'm a big fan of yours and this is my first time seeing you up close." I can try and stay composed in the Vampire Realm but when I'm put on the spot I am truly in love with her music. "Uh, did I disturb you. I know that I should be in bed but I, uh, couldn't sleep."
Hana chuckles and clasps her hands behind her back. "That's fine. I often wonder around the gardens when I can't sleep." She holds out her hand. "You already know my name but I don't know yours."
I'm hesitant. I take her warm hand and reply, "My name is Watanabe Kumiko. I'm the tenth year female representative for the Vampire Third Academy. It's a pleasure to meet you!"
We shake and as she releases me it suddenly hits me that I sense not much about her. What I feel is heat around her hand and what I can smell is scents that have been sprayed onto her. Hana's actual presence is invisible to me. I can't figure out whether or not she has no scent or if she's masking it. My confusion must have shown on my face.
"It's jasmine oil," she says to me with a smile. "I'm suppressing the presence of my physical body in order to help the Vampires who have become a part of the Fairy Host Program. I'm in the process of creating a tonic to give to the Witch representatives and the Fairies around the program but I'm kind of stuck on the whole time frame thing. So far one dose only last about half an hour and if it's taken in large quantities it… well it isn't quite good for the body." She laughs to herself and looks up at the roof. "There are others awake?"
"Uh…" I don’t know what to say. Do I explain what happened on the roof? I don't want to look like a wild idiot in front of her.
"Well that's okay." She blows out mist into the cool night and grins at me. "The butlers and maids will do a round soon and make sure they're all back in bed. You should probably get back to bed soon too. Tomorrow will be a big induction day before we get uniforms and everything. Your first day at Fairy school will commence tomorrow." Her eyes seem to be getting excited. "You'll all get a purple tie like me. Black ties are elite Fairies, white ties are Number Fairies, green ties are for Pixies, turquoise ties are for common Fairies and purple is for me because I don't belong to either of those three. There won't be any green ties though because Pixies were flushed from the realm when they became hard to control." She makes a face as if she had said something awkward. "Well it will all be explained to you tomorrow so you better get to bed. I'll walk you to the door so you can get in."
"Alright, thanks." I trail after her like a puppy as she hums. The Fairy Realm is sweet in so many ways and not just on the tastebuds.
"Hana-sama! What are you doing out here?" A maid holding a wicker basket with yellow apples ran over to us. I didn’t see her when we were brought to the estate. "You should be in bed and sleeping. You've had quite a tiring day." Her hair was black and curly and dangled down to her waist. Her eyes are shimmering silver. I'm impervious to the beauty of Vampires but Fairies are such fascinating and breath taking creatures.



"I know." Hana turns and gestures to me. "This is Watanabe Kumiko, a Vampire in the Fairy Host Program. Kumiko-san, this is Daisy. She's my personal maid and kind of like my older sister."
"It's nice to meet you," I say as I nod towards Daisy. She tilts her head to show she acknowledges me but her concern remains on Hana. Daisy looks quite young, almost Hana's age. I wonder if she's a student too.
Hana continues to walk backwards and beckons for me to follow. "Come on. Once you get to bed me and Daisy will go back to the main house."
I nod. "Yes."
Now Daisy is another thing compared to Hana. There's something that I can smell underneath her skin. Maybe she isn't repressing her physical body like Hana is. I can't put my finger on it but I feel like I have smelt her before. Maybe she is wearing an oil scent like Hana. I feel my hand moving. The closer I get to her the more I can smell her. Something is yearning for me to grasp an image in her blood, as if a memory is embedded in the scent. She continues to scold Hana and I catch myself.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Eight

I reach out and touch her. I don't even know if it's on purpose or not. My fingertips brush her skin and I keep my eyes down as she glances back at me, hoping I can pass it off as an accident. It's so hard to stay composed though when I have every particle of my body firing off as if they're doing the cha cha.
My mind becomes hazy as I say goodnight and head through the door to my room at the end of the hall. From that one little touch my mind has been sucked into a state of bliss. I can only imagine what her blood tastes like. I shut the door of my room behind me and my fingertips on my lips. She must be something incredibly special if I'm getting such a vibe. Would she be allowed to be around the other Vampires?

The next morning I'm awoken by a Vampire bouncing on the end of my bed. "Get up! We're going to be late for Fairy school!" Haruka drops over me and begins shaking my shoulders. "Get uuuuup!"
As I blink through my weariness I hiss and throw her off me. I jump up into a crouched position and scream at her, "Do you want me to kill you?!"
Haruka chuckles and I blink in shock as I drop down into a sitting position. Haruki moves closer to me and peers down. "You smell like a Witch. Akira-sama told me what you did last night."
"Akira-chan was quite angry about it," Haruka pouts. "It's odd that you had such a reaction to it because I've noticed you've been added real blood to your diet since before we got here."
"Although I guess you've never drank straight from the source. The skin and fresh blood is the pinnacle of taste. Although not many Vampires experience it anymore."
I cross my arms as I get out of bed and turn my back to them. "Surely royal Vampires have their fill." Neither of them respond and I feel the air grow heavy. "Could you please get out now so I can get changed?"
There's a small silence before I hear their footsteps retreat out of my door. What have I just done? Did I just call them hungry monsters? I didn't say that directly but for some reason I feel that what I've said was horrible. I scrunch up my face and carry on with getting changed. Sometime in the night the uniforms must have been dropped off and like Hana had said; the ties are purple.
Outside there's very little chatter going on as everyone waits in their new uniform. As two separate races in the same uniforms, we really do look like one at the moment. When I look over to the other end of the path I see pink hair approaching. It has to be the Yukikos. Argh, Fairies really do have irresistible charm! I guess each race says that about each other.
"Ahno, Watanabe-san?" I look to my left and my body grows hot as I realise Ryuu is standing next to me. I unintentionally flinch and he laughs nervously. "I'm sorry about last night. It was really an unreasonable thing to ask."
"No, I'm sorry," I say quickly. "It was rational when you think about it but I should've asked one of the others. I should have known that even though I was only intending to heal the cut, I'd still taste blood from the source." I smack my fist against the side of my head and laugh. "I'm sorry. Silly me."
"I've never seen Watanabe-san smile like this before." I jump and look behind me where Chou is smiling. "We're not that close but I've always thought it would be nice if you smiled more."
I have no idea how to respond. "Ah… thanks…" Kitami Chou is the only Vampire to have oddly coloured hair like a Fairy. She's also the only one that needs glasses. She really is quite an anomaly. "Are you excited for today, Chou-chan?" My body tingles. I never use honorifics because it's a way of showing disrespect and since when do I ask people about what they're feeling?! Especially a Vampire?! When I think about it now. My whole life was built sourly because I was rejected by many of those around me. That resulted in my rejecting those that try to be nice to me. I'm such a bitch.
"Yoo hoo." A hand grips my head and shakes it. Haruka grins at me from behind as I look up at her perplexed. "Chou-chan just answered you but you're in a daze."
"Ah! Sorry!" I look at Chou… -chan quickly and smile. "I'm sorry I got caught up thinking."
"It's fine." Chou-chan waves away the apology. She has such a soft and nice voice. As if she's a little bunny. "I said that I am quite excited to see the Fairy Academy. Especially the paintings."
"You like Fairy art?" Ryuu asks as Haruka clings to me from behind.
 "M-hm!" Chou-chan is like a little happy child. "The way Fairies paint are quite unique compare to the Witch and the Vampire Realms. We paint like humans do but Fairies have a special connection to their paintings and the colours they use and sing the painting to life. It's quite fascinating."
"We can do that in the Witch Realm now!" In front of us is a pink haired girl with a large bow and bunny ears in in her hair and big round dark blue eyes. "My mother works for the gallery specially in order to make them move. She's studied the Fairies way of art."
"Ah! This is Usui Sango. She's the tenth year representative and is also Rozu-chan's cousin," Ryuu says as he gestures to her. "The rabbit ears are fake so don't be alarmed. She's always casting minor spells. She got suspended once for turning another student's skin purple."
"What a talent," Chou-chan laughed.
"I can make my hair go all sorts of colours! Did you get a Witch to turn your hair blue?" Usui-san asks.
"Well, um no, not exactly…" Chou-chan replies.
"Can I have your attention please?!" The voices rings out like a flutter as the Yukikos stop in front of the group and Hana moves out from in between them. "Good morning everyone! I am Chino Hana and I am your host for the Fairy Host Program. These are the Winterstone Children: Ayako, Ayaka, Yuuta and Yuuma. They will be helping me whilst you are at school. If there is something that has not been clarified, you can ask them. I apologise for not being here to welcome you yesterday when you arrived but today I intend to make up for it!" She has such energy, excitement and flair. No wonder she's such a popular singer. She looks exactly like her posters. "Today we do not have a structured schedule and instead we are going to allow you as a group to vote on what aspect of Fairy education you which to observe first. We have three choices this early in the morning: one, we can go to the combat halls; two, we can go sit on a history less; or three, we can go to the arts wing."



»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Match Selection






Between these two story polls, Suzuki Haruki was voted to be the primary match for Watanabe Kumiko. This mean romantic events will centre around him from now on. If his Favour Poll falls too low, however, the spare pre-match candidate will take his place.

Winning Selection: Suzuki Haruki

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Watanabe Kumiko - Part Nine

I put my hand up for the arts wing and it ended up getting the most votes. No way was I going to go to a goddamn history lesson and if I went to a combat hall then I would probably get mocked by Akira for not being a competent soldier Vampire. I don't want to look any more like an idiot whilst I'm here. Having thought that though, I have no idea about Fairy art… so maybe I will look like an idiot.
"I didn't know you were interested in the art of the Fairies." I look up to see Haruki walking beside me. He had been in a different carriage when we were taken over to the academy and even if he had been in the same carriage as me I was too mesmerised by the Fairies flying over us to have noticed him. "Or did you just vote for Kitami-san?"
I frown. "I haven't seen much Fairy art so I thought I would try it."
"It worked out well though," he says. "There was an order from Akira-sama. We were not to vote for combat at all. The risk of losing control as blood levels rose was too much."
"I never got the memo," I grumble.
"Perhaps he didn’t feel the need to include you?"
I want to snap at him but I hold my tongue. Literally between my teeth. "I guess not." Someone bumps me and I hit Haruki. He catches me and as Sango rushed past she called an apology. I became all too aware of Haruki holding me when we fell behind the group.
"You really are uncoordinated. Any other Vampire could have either sensed that or caught themselves upright almost immediately."
I can't believe it! I'm blushing?! My face feels hot. It must be it! "Well, I'm sorry for not being like other Vampires," I mutter as I avoid looking at him. I grip my uniform and stare wide eyed at the ground. Had my heart always had this weird flutter? "I… I'm catching up!" I ran off without him to catch up with the group and guarded myself by making it in between Chou-chan and Haruka.
"Where's Haruki?" Haruka asks as she glances over her shoulder. "Ah, there you are. What'd you fall back for?" Of course he's already caught up.
"I dropped something," Haruki replies.
The art wing is amazing when we entered. The paintings were done in a thousand different colours and many ways. Some of them moved and some gave off actual scents and emotions. The Yukikos and Hana begin to explain the paintings and the history of the Fairy forms of art. I listen for a while but my eyes suddenly catch on a large painting in a room we passed. I head in without thinking. It's like the painting is calling to me. I can feel a flood of emotions and energy as I stand in the room alone.
It's just a large canvas, almost the size of the wall, covered in flame. "How can I be attracted to this?" I say to myself as I walk closer. I stop about three metres from the painting and marvel at it. The orange flames flicker and crackle across the canvas but soon enough I notice that I can hear running water, as if I'm standing next to a creek. When I lean in closer I can see to figures in the painting. I feel happy. So happy. Something about the painting feels nostalgic and safe. I want to touch it. I need to touch it.
As I reach out my hand my daze is interrupted. "Kumiko-san?" I turn around to find Hana standing in the door way. She glances over her shoulder before moving in to the room. "I noticed that you weren't with the group any longer so I came looking for you." She looks at the painting over my head and frowns. "That's odd. It rarely animates itself."
"Huh?" She walks over to me and we both look up at the painting again.
"This painting wasn't shown because we're not even sure what it is yet. It was found abandoned and the flames have been concealing the actual picture as though the person who painted it didn't want it to be seen. Usually it just looks like an oil painting but sometimes the flames flicker to life like now." Her red eyes examine the canvas. "A strong Fairy painted this otherwise we'd able to see what it was by now but I think whoever painted it must be gone otherwise they'd come and collect it."
I nod. "Uh… can you hear water behind the painting?"
Her eyes grow wide and she smiles. "You can hear it too? I thought I could hear it when I first looked at the painting but no one else could hear it. It's like there's a little waterfall behind the painting." She seems happy that another person can hear it. "I wonder what we have that no one else does."
"Can you see two figures as well?"
She shakes her head up and down. "Everyone can faintly see them though. A lot of people get the feeling that they're two siblings because of the innocent and friendly nature that they give off." She frowns. "Although the mood of this painting has been known to change. Some Fairies claim that the flames grow wild and very sad feelings of yearning and anger come from the painting sometimes."
"Maybe the painting tells a story?" I murmur. I want to touch it but the flames look so real. "I want to reach out and see if there's something behind it."
I don't realise I had spoken out loud until Hana says, "I wouldn’t recommend it. The flames have burnt people who have touched it. Fairy painting isn't meant to be real but these flames most certainly are. I can touch it but they just put it down to the fact I'm abnormal. Everyone else who has touched it has been burnt really badly. Even the Vampire artists that come and look at it."
I look carefully at the flames. They don’t seem harmful to me though. I can hear laughter now. Quiet laughter of young children. I need to know. But I will be burned if I touch it. I grip my wrist and wet my lips.
"We should be getting back to the others now," Hana says as she begins to move away. "Your Vampire friends had also noticed that you weren't with us."
"Oh, ok. Sorry to have caused inconvenience."
"It's fine." She laughs and her footsteps stop at the door but I still want to touch the painting. I can't tear my eyes away from it.

Comments