Female Protagonists (Mostly Shoujo Centred): The Ones we Girls Narrow our Eyes At

Usually I find the female protagonists/heroines quite likeable, especially because they're often the rough diamond which means courting, changing and metamorphosis. They're cute in their own ways and we cheer on for them... and then there are the girls that we frown at and groan at and roll our eyes at. I'm not sure if it's for guys as well but I know that as a girl: these girls get on my nerves. I'm mostly focusing on those that are protagonist in Shoujo (Ai included) as that's where they're mostly found.

For Example:



Now Erika has her likeable qualities but she also carries traits of characters that I can't stand. She's a whiner and does a lot of stupid things that causes many misunderstandings and she's nosy. It's so bothersome because they themselves create half of the problems in the manga. I personally find whiny girls very irritating. Although Erika gets a small pass because Sata comes off as a bit disengaged (although it's part of his 'cool but deeply loves her' personality). BUT she started off as desperate and a liar and it made me dislike her from the beginning. She's growing on me but little by little. I've steered away from the others though. Some of them are a little unbearable and I want them to get dumped.
Another trait some of them have is the constant need to have their partner's emotions validated. They get suspicious at the drop of the hat and cry all the time and make others fee bad. It's annoying. It's not like they're the only one with problems and it's usually over some little misunderstanding. Sometimes this creates bait for a love triangle but sometimes we don't want more than one person to like someone who is behaving like a brat.


And yes, it pains me to say, that Tsukino Usagi is one of these girls. Although it's a little more complicated as it is only the original anime English dubbed Usagi that I find intolerable. 'Serena'. She's a whiner and constantly causes discord and only worries about her problems. It left me only liking Sailor Moon and Princess Serenity and so the manga and the Sailor Moon reboot, Sailor Moon Crystal, excited and satisfied me. Usagi is depicted as a much more considerate young girl that doesn't cry every five minutes. She's also nowhere near as selfish or childish.
Strong traits of likeable heroines/protagonists is that they are generous, at least caring, and have a degree of tolerance and independence.

This is what I'm talking about:





Lucy is another one that started out as a bother. She is slowly growing on me. She has all the feminine traits (for the "plot") like her squealing, love for cute things, love for pretty things and so on and so forth. But she starts out very weak and unable to really do anything. She did try but almost every time she ended up just making a fool out of herself and someone had to save her. Overuse of the damsel in distress role can make things boring and eventually you kinda run out of sympathy. Luckily, Lucy is developing into a strong character. Her use of her keys have gotten much better and her ability to execute badass spells such as Urano Metoria are excellent. She does also make her way out of this category a bit further as she is compassionate and mostly realistic. She tries not to rely on the others and whinges about things normal people whine about.



Now these two: the girls that don't know who they want to love and so just end up hurting both of them. I get that sometimes it's hard to tell but these two go about it in an annoying way. They chase after the one they think they want whilst both males struggle a little and others are basically screaming them at the sideline to run left so they run right. Good grief. They aren't likeable enough to be over popular and allowed to pick and choose. Neither grew/have grown on me.

In a lot of one-shot Shoujos you find the babies that cry and prematurely end the story. There's only a little bit of teasing before they're all like 'oh my god he mustn't love me'. And some of them fall in love far too quick. Sometimes it's nice for there to be immediate attraction but after three pages they're saying those three little words and are ready to die for the other. Argh.

And that's the end of my small rant. 'Til next time.

Comments