My Discussion: Ao No Exorcist (Season 1)

My Discussion: Ao No Exorcist (Season 1)


Expectation
Originally I wasn’t going to watch Ao No Exorcist but it kept popping up into my Netflix recommendations and so eventually I read the description. And still didn’t want to watch it. But then one day I clicked on it. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I was a little confused about what the description meant. I thought that Rin was knowingly born as Satan’s son and then all of a sudden was like ‘stuff you dad I don’t want to be evil’ and then started to become an exorcist.


Initial Reaction
My initial reaction to watching Ao No Exorcist was to hold claim over the TV for several days. In the first episode it proved to be something that I enjoyed and became hooked on at the snap of a finger. I enjoy both comedy and supernatural elements and this anime is abundant in both.

Beginning Response
So during the first episode I pulled a few funny faces during Satan’s possession of Shiro. It wasn’t something I’d seen before and it made me shiver a little. My little brother came in at one point and was all ‘wtf?!’. I like how it crept up to Rin’s reveal that he’s the son of Satan and the death scene of Shiro was powerful. I really liked the academy and when it turned out that Yukio was already an exorcist I was like, ‘damn, what a badass’. I honestly thought he was going to be the damsel in distress for most of the season. I really liked the fighting scenes and the training as I’m fond of action and found Rin’d abilities as Satan’s child pretty sick. I like that he didn’t just become all powerful and still got his butt kicked a bit.

Half-Way Response
So I was thrilled when Amaimon came into play. At first I thought he was too nonchalant but when it turns out he’s quite the psycho I was drooling for the next episode. Amaimon really grew on me and so this part of the season was my favourite. His teasing with Shiemi was one of my favourite parts where he says he’ll bite her lips off. The epic battle that follows between him and Rin was also my favourite. I thought for sure that Rin was going to win but he really did crush Amaimon. The scene when he cuts through Mephisto’s cuckoo clock had me squealing in delight.

Ending Response
I hated the last episode (probably because I wanted some badass cliff hanger for season two and something more epic to happen) but overall I loved how it ended. The whole story between Satan and Rin and Yukio’s mother blew my mind a little. I was really swept up with Satan’s love for Yuri and her love for him and their desire to make the world better. The whole thing about Yuri’s father burning her at the stake and Satan killing everyone whilst trying to find a body to save her was a great touch. The whole feared day of the blue flames was Satan trying to save the one that he loves. Goddamn. It was like a lovely little fantasy that made its way into reality. And then that was stomped on when Satan decided to just kill everyone, including his sons. You a$$hole.

Impression of the Characters
Okumura Rin
I love Rin. He is so adorable. He’s funny and whilst not as skilled as the others he has a strong sense of will and makes up for it in power. He’s able to persevere and make long lasting relationships with others. His compassion is also one of his best qualities. I love his entire story from being the bullied but violent child to the immature but justice driven teen. His skill in cooking is a nice endearing quality and his ability to balance the line of good and evil gives him the ability to connect the two. On one hand I want him to grown and defeat Satan, becoming the king of hell, but on the other hand I want him to live normally (as much as possible) with his friends and family. 


Okumura Yukio
I really liked how at first you think Yukio is weak compared to Rin and then BAM. Nope, he’s a badass exorcist. I really did not see it coming. I loved that his drive came from the fact that he was weak as a human and he just wanted to protect his brother like Rin protected him. There were a few times when I wanted something to bite his head off; like when he joined his grandfather and pointed the gun at Kuro. Like dude, no. Go back to being batman with glasses.


Fujimoto Shiro
Shiro was funny and I liked that he seemed somewhat indecent despite him being a priest. He was designed in a very cool manner too and so I guessed that he would have to be a lethal individual.


Moriyama Shiemi
At first I didn’t like Shiemi. After all the shoujo I’d read I was starting to become intolerable of weak female characters that always need to be saved but Shiemi grew on me. I started to like her naivety and strong will to grow to be more powerful. I feel like she should’ve had at least one angry and amazing burst but it could have ruined her character. I’m referring to her accepting Izumo’s treatment of her.


Suguro Ryuji
So I thought he was going to be a yankee but his serious and studious personality is actually great. He’s strong and definitely leader material. I like how he and Rin became closer after their initial enemy reaction in the beginning. I honestly want Ryuji and Shiemi to become a couple. Like, seriously. I feel like it would be awesome. Little timid Shiemi and a little scary looking but reliable and strong Ryuji. So many adorable shoujo moments could be thrown in.

Izumo Kamiki
My initial thought was that she was a bitch but I knew she was a tsundere and so figured it wouldn’t take too long until I backed off of her with my dagger eyes. I like that she isn’t just arrogant but is competent in her craft. I like how she (sort of) learned her lesson when during the incident when her own familiars turned on her and Shiemi saved her.

Shimo Renzo
He’s weird. A playboy. I feel like his character has something else to offer behind his carefree personality.

Miwa Konekomaru
My favourite thing about Konekomaru is his name. Say it. Say it and roll it around. It’s fun. But aside from that he was like the male version of Shiemi. I hated his treatment of Rin when they found out about him being the son of Satan. Of course it was justified in a way but I still feel that he should’ve just been flicked in the face.

Takara Nemu
I don’t… I don’t know…


Ukobach
I thought he was going to be the monster of the episode to be slain but he is so much more than that. I love his look and his personality. He is the cutest thing next to Nee and Kuro and his pride in cooking is a large part of why I love him. I like that he’s quite like Rin and his tantrum after Rin trashes the kitchen was cuter than it was angry.

Nee
OH MY GOD THIS THING IS SO CUTE!!! From the moment Nee was created I was smitten. It is the most adorable damn thing and it makes cute noises and protects everyone!! Aww it’s just so adorable. When I thought Nee had died I chucked a tantrum (I made choked screaming noises at the TV). It has a little hat!


Kuro
I really liked Kuro’s story and how he’s an alcoholic and was really good friends with Shiro (how coincidental: shiro and kuro). I loved how he would show up every day because he was looking for Shiro and then once he’d found was dead he went beserk. I also loved that he and Rin became very close and Kuro served as his familiar and could transform into this huge beast cat.


Mephisto Pheles
For a while I just thought Mephisto was whack. I really liked his attire and his casual demeanour about everything. He also had his nose in something. He was like the good villain. At first I didn’t like how he seemed to be meddling with both good and bad but everything he did created something exciting. I’m not even sure myself if he’s a villain or not but to me he was one of the most rational individuals. I was so angry when he was about to show off his badass side (the fire and the umbrella over the dorms) and then that shitty angel poured water over it. I also first thought his dog form was just his dog.


Kirigakure Shura
So I hated Shura to begin with. I think it was mostly her over-sexualisation her personality but of course she grew on me. I would’ve like to see more of her past. Her abilities with the snakes and her sword and how it changed was really cool.


Amaimon
Amaimon seemed like the character that doesn’t care about anything and so I didn’t pay him too much mind but as he became more involved with Rin and his sadistic side showed I immediately fell in love with him. I also liked his anger and insanity that showed during and after his battle with Rin. When the others laughed at his hair, saying it looked like a vegetable, and he just kicked them out of nowhere I was went, ‘damn, I’m not doing that’. I do like that his character ended up insane by his defeat and also how he wasn’t eradicated but merely became a little bird that Mephisto took charge of.


Satan
I have mixed feelings about Satan. On one hand I loved his love story with Yuri but on the other hand he killed Shiro and acted like a total tw@t at the end.


Favourite Character
Is probably a tie between Amaimon and Rin. I really love both of their personalities and abilities. Amaimon is lovely insane and Rin is very strong and kind. And they're both funny.


Worst Character
Ernst Frederik Egin. I hated him. He was just the worst. I didn’t like him when he was first introduced because I didn’t believe that he was an honest character. And then it turned out he really was a piece of crap. A crazy person. I think that he had a strong sense of purpose and justice but it was a little askew. An idiot. My favourite scene with him was when he died. He was even snarky to Yukio whilst he should have been begging for help.

Favourite Episode
Most likely ‘Gamble’. The battle between Rin and Amaimon was my favourite and it happened during this episode. Rin’s full potential was released and Amaimon showed his emotions in a smashing fashion. It’s probably also one of my favourite anime fight scenes.

Worst Episode
I don’t think there was an episode that I didn’t particularly like but if I had to choose it would be the birthday party one. It was boring. But having said that it was a nice break from everything going on.

Favourite Scene
When Mephisto tries to end the fight between Amaimon and Rin but collecting Amaimon’s body with the cuckoo clock and Rin is all like ‘no bitch’ and cuts the thing in half. I really loved that part. Mephisto was so confident and calm and Rin just came in blazing.

Worst Scene
I didn’t like the last scene. I was expecting something like a bang but it felt like a first episode without a hook to the second. Of course most of the conclusion had happened in the episode beforehand but I still feel like it could have been done better.

Music
The first season intro for Ao No Exorcist is one of my favourite anime songs: Core Pride. It is an amazing song and I listen to it all the time. I feel like it has the right balance of drama and comedy in its beat and suits Ao No Exorcist perfectly.

Overall Opinion

I really love Ao No Exorcist and can’t wait for Season Two to come out! I’m glad that I started watching it and I love the characters and the action scenes.


Comments