My Discussion: Another




Expectation
I wasn’t sure what to expect with Another. I knew it was going to be gruesome because I had seen a few clips but wasn’t sure if it was supernatural or one of the students were murderers or whatnot.

Initial Reaction
So my first reaction was that I thought Mei was dead. I thought maybe she was a demon that started killing people in the class when it was acknowledged or something and so was interested. I can’t really remember too much from the first couple of episodes because I was confused for a bit.

Beginning Response
So in the beginning I just had a few speculations about what was happening but as the episodes went on I started becoming confused. After the first death scene I was a little riled up because I really liked how they were animated. I kept watching and each episode was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. I didn’t like the classmates because I like Mei to begin with.

Half-Way Response
So just around half-way I stopped watching Another. I must have missed a few vital parts because I was just so confused as to what was going on and felt it was going really slowly. I picked it back up though and ended up finishing it across two nights. The way that each of them were dying off was thrilling and I felt like I was coming closer to figuring out what was going on.

Ending Response
So I didn’t really like the ending. I liked everything leading up until the ending but I felt that everything was far too sinister and twisted for such a simple ending. I mean, it could have been more of a shocking twist. Watching all the students fight and kill each other in the hotel was weird. I really liked how everything was explained and it became a hunt for the person that was already dead. I really didn’t quite see that coming. I mean, I thought maybe there was a ghost but I didn’t think it would be such a complicated plot. The whole thing about having the right amount of chairs and desks was really cool. I also didn’t like how it just randomly turns out Mei can see who the dead one is but I did like the whole thing about her twin and how it also leads to everyone thinking Mei is the dead one. I do like that the curse isn’t miraculously broken. The part at the end when they leave the warning message for the next class was really good.


Impression of the Characters
I’m not going to do this section because none of the characters really made an impression on me. I just found most of them annoying. I didn’t even care about Koichi. Glasses girl was annoying, pigtails was annoying and just all of them were annoying. I didn’t care when any of them died. I did, however, like Misaki Mei but her character didn’t really leave anything for me to talk about either.


Favourite Character
My favourite character would definitely have been Misaki Mei. She was the only one that I could sympathise for and I liked her nonchalant nature. I really liked how they showed Mei as a sinister girl and emphasised it continuously until when she finally admits to Koichi the nature of the curse and that she is not dead. I like how her character doesn’t change but still seems to become friendlier and more normal. I do like the touch with the glass eye but I didn’t like her ability to see the dead as I felt it was too ‘convenient’ for the story.


Worst Character
I don't have one.

Favourite Episode
I don’t have one.

Worst Episode
I don’t have one of these either.

Favourite Scene
My favourite scene was in Episode 3 when Sakuragi Yukari dies. I really liked her death scene and it was the scene that got me into watching Another. Despite it being brutal and messed up, it was done like art. I love how the umbrella opens and blood splatters everywhere. The whole scene from the moment she sees Mei and Koichi until she’s dead was just fantastic.

Worst Scene
That weird day-dream dancing scene. Like, seriously; wtf was that? I don’t remember what episode it was in but it was just some random scene inserted. I’m not sure if it even has a purpose.

Music
I don’t even remember the music.

Overall Opinion

I liked watching Another and don’t think it was a bad anime but I don’t think I’ll watch it again. I like the animation and a few of the characters and many of the plot lines but I feel it could have ended on a much more spectacular note.



Comments