My Discussion: Attack on Titan (season 1)

Disclaimer: wrought with spoilers.
Expectation
I wasn’t really sure what to expect when going in to watch Attack on Titan. It was obvious there was going to be some ‘attacking on titans’ but I knew nothing else other than that and the
huge fan fiction surrounding the bromance of Levi and Eren.
Initial Reaction
So it took ten minutes and I was already addicted to it. The brutality of their reality was gripping and shocking at the same time. The titans were messed up and it made me cringe as I was alone in the lounge room sitting so close to the TV. It didn’t stop me from watching the next several episodes. I had to call a time out eventually so it wouldn’t be over in the first night.
Beginning Response
I found the beginning a little boring, but that is only in comparison to the rest of the story and so is expected. The scene where Eren and Mikasa have to leave his mother in the rubble of the house was one of my favourites simply because of how sad it was (‘please don’t leave me’).
From then on I wasn’t sure how it was going to progress but grew excited as I realised that it was leading up to them becoming soldiers. I felt like the training, despite being intense at times, seemed like comedy relief at the beginning of a hell storm. It was a great way to meet all of the other characters though and it made the sudden slaughter of half of them much more confronting. When Eren was eaten by the Santa Claus looking titan I had no idea what was happening because he hadn’t met Levi yet. Of course, though, I ended up a metre from the TV when he ripped his way through that titan and transformed into the biggest badass. Unfortunately I actually forgot completely about Marco and so everything related to his death (like Jean’s decision to be less of a butthole) I didn’t quite get until I rewatched it again.
Half-Way Response
So I was so riled up from the beginning that by halfway I was so excited that I had to dig my claws into the rest of the episodes and not let go. The fight scene between Eren and the other titans was sick. Not only did it provide us with mad revenge and satisfaction but it also gave hope to those who had been stranded on the wrong side of the wall. The success to get gas was such a relief-filled moment (and a tiny moment of silence for all those that got caught and devoured). I grew so impatient with the coward who was going to order the death of Eren, Mikasa and Armin. He made me so angry. And then Pixis came in. God bless Pixis. I hated the king though, he sucks. He sucks so bad. And then it came to my favourite part of the first half; the dropping of the rock. I waited so long for it to get to the sealing of the wall. So I scrambled for the ‘next’ button when Eren chucked a tantrum and tried to blow Mikasa into the next realm but it all ended in such a moving event. I get so riled up inside when the music begins and Eren is doing all he can to get the boulder to the wall. And then Armin yells out ‘tatakai!’ (‘fight!’ (for anyone who, for some reason, hasn’t seen it)) and I just lose my shit. And that white-haired sour face starts crying and I want to cry and it’s just awesome. After this Levi came into it and at first he wasn’t what I expected but I was liking his personality… and then he beat the shit out of Eren. I had no idea what to do during that scene. Really. Like, wtf? You sack of shit. But that didn’t last long and I was drawn into the fandom that holds Levi on a pedestal (I’m so weak against badassery).
After that it went into somewhat of another comedic break (like with the training camp) where serious things were going on but there was much less of ‘everybody dies’ ‘omnomonom’.
Ending Response
When the female titan came in it was all ‘f@ck yes’. To watch the fight between the two ripped and intelligent titans was epic.
The strategy and lead up with the movement of the Survey Corps was also cool. How they brought her in was exciting as well. When I saw her running from the distance I was basically in the same boat as Armin: ‘shit’. Despite liking the fighting and the suspense of ‘what is actually going on?’, she crushed all of Levi’s friends in the matter of a few minutes. I didn’t really favour any of them but I was getting there and then, boom.
There was a good outcome though. I got to see Levi in his angry mode and it was fantastic. She thought she was all slick and he countered everything she threw at him (well more like he hacked everything). It wasn’t that hard to think that the female titan was Annie and so when it was confirmed I really wasn’t surprised but the entire plan to capture her was amazing and her revelation was one of my favourite scenes and was completely captivating.
And then she started laughing and I was freaked out a little. The battle between her and Eren was my favourite and his unwavering willpower made for an epic fight. I started to despise Annie and was overjoyed with the scene where Mikasa slices her fingers off and tells her to fall but in that one moment, after Eren rips away the skin of the nape, when you see Annie’s memories and she’s crying; my perspective of her changed instantly.
Cold and uncaring Annie was crying. And then that weird fusion thing happened and she encased her body in crystal. The crystal looked cool but that meant it was all for nothing. Brutal. And then the final scene after the credits… WHEN IS SEASON TWO?!
Impression of the Characters
Eren Jaeger
I liked how Eren was not the most powerful or the smartest. I liked that he was average but his willpower and sense of purpose made him able to do extraordinary things… well that and the fact he can change into this sick as titan. I did dislike his personality at points because he came off as just angry and arrogant but at the same time: he saw his mom get eaten.
Mikasa Ackerman
Mikasa is amazing. Not only is she insanely talented, always making room for epicness, but she is compassionate. She cares deeply for what is close to her. It took for me to see her past to understand why she was quite stoic in personality but it made my outlook on her stronger. I dislike that she centres her world around Eren a little but this is only because if there was no Eren then what would there be of Mikasa? But what I like about this is that it disregards others and so she doesn’t care about challenging authority in such situations. Her confrontation of the coward commander and of the greedy merchant were some of my favourite scenes.
Armin Artlert
At first Armin was annoying. I could see that he was meant to be the brains of the three but he just kept getting beat up. It did mean that he, however only verbally, stood up for what he believed in. I feel like he changed the most of the three and it was great to watch. He went from cowering before titans and reserving himself to be eaten to confronting Annie (of course it wasn’t on equal terms though because she could crush him with one finger). He also managed to wake Eren up from his almost creepy dream when no one else could.
Levi Ackerman
I like Levi for mostly the same reasons as Mikasa. I feel like they are definitely birds of the same feather. Tragic past, stoic nature and badass skills. One of my favourite things about Levi is that, not only does he have such a ‘cool’ personality, but he can back it up. He also isn’t as uncaring as others think, which is evident in the epic battle scene between he and the female titan (Annie).
Erwin Smith
I can’t not like him but I also can’t think of anything specific as to what I like about him. I really love the scene when he goes and retrieves Levi from underground. That smile tho.
Zoe Hange
I love Hange. She is insane and it is adorable… and sometimes creepy. Her seemingly carefree nature and Sasha-and-food obsession with titans. Ike Erwin though, I don’t have any more specific opinion about her.
Jean Kirstein
I disliked Jean at first but as he started to mature I started to like him a lot more. I think that his crush on Mikasa is cute and I ship it more than I ship Mikasa and Eren. I like his transition into a leader and picture him becoming the next Erwin.
Sasha Blouse
Sasha is hilarious. She had me from potato. Her honesty and naivety in the beginning was entertaining although I feel her development as a character is behind the others, along with Connie and the others. I ship Sasha and Connie. Totally. I imagine Sasha being the next Hange.
Connie Springer
Connie is also one of my favourite characters for comic relief. He and Sasha are the comedy duo.
Annie Leonhart
My first impression of Annie was a good one as I like her mysterious and powerful aura, much like the one Mikasa gave off, although as it progressed I began to hate her. When it was confirmed that she is the female titan I became angry because I couldn’t understand why she was doing it. But it changed from the moment her revelation scene began. Annie’s memory and her tears changed my perception of her and I’ve grown to have a lot more respect for her character. Watching the season again I feel like she is the most reluctant to help the titans eliminate the humans. I can’t wait until she comes out of her crystal cocoon.
Bertolt Hoover
I didn’t take much notice of Bertolt but I did think he had that shy guy adorable nature going on and felt bad for him because of how Annie treated him. Because I know who he really is now it makes it harder for me to like him though.
Reiner Braun
My opinion about Reiner is much the same as my opinion about Bertolt. I liked the relationship between he and Annie because it was funny. I was a little confused, re-watching it, as he actively helps the others in the 104th training corps.
Favourite Character
My favourite character is a toss-up between Mikasa and Levi. But of the cousins I think that I like Mikasa more. If they were to fight I would expect her to lose but I would root for her. The reason I can’t choose either is because they are both the same in many of the aspects I like about them: strong individuals, whilst merciless they do not lack compassion, they fight to protect what and who they love rather than themselves and they change the flow of any situation.
Worst Character
The character I hate the most is the one I refer to as a ‘coward’. Yep. It’s not a titan or a titan shifter but it’s that dude whose name I don’t even remember. That guy with the real horse face that looks like he’s half dead. If you don’t know who I’m talking about: canon scene, he orders the death of Eren.
Favourite Episode
My favourite episode is going to have to be the last episode because so many epic scenarios occur. We get to see a little bit of badassery from everyone and of course there’s the showdown between Annie and Eren. The religious tower gets wiped out, Eren gets his face bashed into reality and it’s just AWESOME!
Worst Episode
I don’t have a worst episode. Nope. Not even the intermission.
Favourite Scene
My favourite scene has to be the few seconds of interaction between Mikasa and Annie for the last time. Annie is scaling the wall to escape and Mikasa rushes up and slices Annie’s fingers off and as she’s cut off, Mikasa descends to her face: “Annie… fall.”
The pair’s relationship is a little bit of hate and respect but I felt like this was the decider and in that one moment, emotion was powerfully conveyed by the both of them.
Worst Scene
The scene where Pixis is called to the battlefront and the king selfishly tells him to forget about everyone and just protect him and his home. Seriously? F#ck you.
Music
I absolutely love the Attack on Titan soundtrack. Number one is ‘Guren no Yumiya’, number two is the titan fight theme and number three is ‘Call Your Name’ (the season really only consists of these three and the weird second opening and the two endings).
Overall Opinion
I love Attack on Titan. It has the tragedy, it has the music, the characters, the humour and is enjoyable to watch. I really have nothing else to say here as I’ve put it all above. If you like the brutal reality of things, like in Puella Magi and Game of Thrones, you should like Attack on Titan (although I’m assuming majority of you reading this have watched the season, if not; spoiler). There are some that dislike AoT because it’s ‘mainstream’ but it is original and fantastic and (I don’t usually do this for no reason) but fuck you (nah, I won’t censor that one). Don’t hate on something because it’s ‘mainstream’.
Taketai!

Comments